Here's the new menu for this week, starting Sat. 2/6. There are a lot of Mexican type items on sale this week at all of the stores (I guess for Super Bowl Sunday), so stock up if you like Mexican food. Also got a tip that Kline's Grocery has pork tenderloin on sale (could probably ask the butcher to cut it into chops for you).
Basic Menu (recipes to follow):
(S) Mexican Pizza
(Su) Baked Potato Bar with favorite toppings
(M) Honey BBQ Chicken Tenders
(T) Brown Gravy Patties
(W) Breakfast Hash
(Th) Lasagne Roll-ups
(F) Chicken Patties and Fries
Sat 2/6: Mexican Pizza. The number of pizza's you need will depend on your family size (obviously :>). My recipe says two pizzas serves 8 people. This recipe is from my "Meals for a Month" cookbook. It freezes very well, so since this is Saturday, you may have some extra time to make a few extra to keep in the freezer for an easy weeknight meal.
- Roll out 2 refrigerated pizza crusts (these are on sale this week at Giant, with coupons in Sunday paper, as well). Prebake at 400 degrees for 8 min. or until lightly browned. Set aside.
- Brown 2 lbs. ground beef (I have used less, so whatever you like) with 1 small chopped onion and 2 cloves minced garlic. Drain well. Add 1 (16 oz) can refried beans (also on sale this week at Giant), 1 (6 oz) can of tomato paste, 1/3 c. water, 12 oz jar of salsa (on sale everywhere), and 4 oz can of green chilies (I don't use these...too hot for us). Stir to combine. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 min. to blend flavors.
- Divide sauce among pizzas and spread evenly over each crust. Top with cheese blend (3 c. shredded mozzarella and 2 c. shredded cheddar mixed together).
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 min. or until crusts are done.
*Note: If you're freezing more for later: follow instructions till step 3, but do not top with cheese. Put the cheese in a separate ziplock bag. Chill the pizzas, flash freeze, wrap and label with reheating instructions. To reheat: Bake the frozen pizzas at 400 for 12-18 min, sprinkle with cheeses and bake 10-15 min longer till cheese bubbles and begins to brown.
Sun 2/7: I won't be cooking much, but I figured a Baked Potato Bar would be easy enough to feed the gang while watching the big game. Bake the potatoes at 350 degrees till fork-tender. Top with broccoli/cheese/ham or chili/cheese/sour cream. If you bake too many potatoes, save them for tomorrow night's supper as a side dish.
Mon 2/8: Honey BBQ Chicken Tenders (crock pot recipe).
- Spray inside of slow cooker with cooking spray. Arrange 2 lb. of cut-up chicken breasts or chicken tenders in slow cooker.
- Combine 1 1/2 c. BBQ sauce, 1/4 c. honey, 2 tsp. mustard, and 1 1/2 tsp. worcestershire sauce in a separate bowl. Pour mixture over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low heat 4-5 hours or high heat for 2-2 1/2 hours. Could be baked as well for a quicker meal.
* If you make extra, this would be good to save for later for a chicken BBQ pizza. (Can you tell we love pizza?)
Tues 2/9: Brown Gravy Patties, mashed potatoes, corn...yum, comfort food!
- Mix 1 lb ground beef with 1 egg, salt and pepper, chopped onion, and some bread crumbs (a basic meatloaf recipe).
- Shape the meat mixture into small hamburger patties.
- Brown on both sides in a large frying pan.
- Mix 2 envelopes of brown gravy mix with water (follow directions on pkg). Add to frying pan, reduce heat, and simmer until patties are cooked through and gravy is thickened.
Wed 2/10: Breakfast Hash This is just my own creation of whatever we have on hand. You can change it to include/omit whatever you want.
- 3-4 large potatoes, shredded or 1 bag of hashbrowns. Brown with a small amount of oil in a large frying pan.
- Add 1 c. chopped onions, 1/4 c. diced green peppers, and 1 c. cubed ham steak to the cooking potatoes.
- When hash is nearly cooked to desired "brown" color, add 3 scrambled eggs and 1 c. cheddar cheese. Cook till eggs are set and cheese is melted.
Thur 2/11: Lasagne Roll-ups A faster version for weeknights.
- Boil 12 lasagne noodles, drain and set aside. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine: 2 c. mozzarella cheese, 16 oz. cottage cheese, 1 egg, some parsley flakes and a sprinkle of italian seasoning or basil.
- Arrange the lasagne noodles on a flat surface. Spoon a thin layer of cheese mixture onto each noodle. Roll up each noodle (starting from one of the short sides) and secure with a toothpick. Place the rolls side by side in a prepared pan.
- Pour prepared pasta sauce (with or without meat) on top of each roll. Sprinkle with 1 c. mozzarella cheese and 1/4 c. parmesan cheese.
Bake 20-25 min, or until cheese filling melts and the top is golden brown. 4-5 servings
Friday 2/12: Chicken Patties and Fries Just a quickie meal from the freezer.