Angie Gets Organized

This is why I'm trying to get organized...for my family. I am a strong believer in family meal time, but I know that without a little planning, it will be hard to keep us all together. It will also be easier to spend money foolishly on prepared foods or fast food. I love trying out new recipes, so this is my site to pass on recipes, while also organizing them into a meal plan. I hope it helps you to keep your family together. I would love to hear what others are having for dinner, or see a new recipe or two! Feel free to leave me some feedback in the comments section...at least then I would know someone is reading this!

It's not gourmet...just good food!







Monday, May 2, 2011

Homemade Creamy Tomato Soup

I've been craving tomato soup, so when a couple of my kids tell me, "mom, when are we having tomato soup?"...I jump at the chance to have it. I am a huge fan of the Campbell's and Progresso brands out of the can, but since I already got groceries for this week, I decided that I better try some homemade soup. I have yet to find a recipe that comes close to Campbell's (it is sooo smooth and I can't figure out how they do that!), but this recipe is pretty darn close to the Progresso soup. It is a little chunkier, and has more spices in the recipe than the Campbell's. This is my adapted version of the Martha Stewart recipe for "Creamy Tomato Soup".

Creamy Tomato Soup

2 Tbsps butter ( I used margarine)
1 med. onion (I didn't use this because I thought the kids might get picky about it)
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 (28 oz) cans crushed tomatoes (I used crushed tomatoes with added basil)
5 1/4 c. chicken stock
oregano ( I didn't use since I already had the basil in the tomatoes)
1/2 c. half and half (I would've used this had I had it on hand, but I didn't so I used milk)

Melt the butter in a large sauce pan over medium-low heat. Add the onions and garlic, cook until translucent. Add the tomatoes, stock, and oregano, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, and simmer gently until thickened, about 45 min. Slowly add the half and half. Season with salt and pepper.

*I also added a bit of sugar, since it tasted better to me that way.

Yummy! Can't wait to dip my grilled cheese in a big bowl of this soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment