Angie Gets Organized

This is why I'm trying to get organized...for my family. I am a strong believer in family meal time, but I know that without a little planning, it will be hard to keep us all together. It will also be easier to spend money foolishly on prepared foods or fast food. I love trying out new recipes, so this is my site to pass on recipes, while also organizing them into a meal plan. I hope it helps you to keep your family together. I would love to hear what others are having for dinner, or see a new recipe or two! Feel free to leave me some feedback in the comments section...at least then I would know someone is reading this!

It's not gourmet...just good food!







Tuesday, February 1, 2011

February Menu

Can't believe that I didn't post anything other than the menu last month...I'm going to try to do better, but this is a short month, so.....we'll see! Hope you enjoyed some of the recipes from last month's menu. But, if you're like me, you might not have gotten to all of them. I make the menus with every intention of making every recipe for that month...but, sometimes things don't go on sale, or I just don't feel like making a particular recipe. So, I hope you all read the menus, get some good ideas, and then tailor it to fit your needs. I know that I definitely like having a plan! It has helped tremendously to keep my grocery bill down...I now go to the store with a plan...which is better than just going and hoping to get inspired at the store.

1. Pick a leftover from last month's menu
2. Baked Potato Soup: I found this recipe on the menus4mom.com website (which is a great website, by the way). You can get the detailed recipe on that site, but if you're like me, soup doesn't have to be real exact. Here are my "condensed" instructions: Make a roux with 2/3 c. each butter and flour. Add 6 c. milk, stirring to thicken. Add the pulp from 4 large baked potatoes (previously baked). Add salt/pepper to taste and 12 slices cooked, crumbled bacon. Add 1 1/4 c. cheddar cheese (shredded). Add 8 oz. sour cream just before serving. ***I'm thinking that you could add instant mashed potatoes or leftover mashed potatoes as a substitute for the baked potato pulp.
3. Honey BBQ chicken tenders: A crockpot recipe. I've posted the recipe before. I will try to post the link tomorrow.
4. Quesadillas: These are always a quickie meal that the kids love. We prefer using cooked chicken, salsa, and cheddar cheese. Just fill with whatever filling your crowd loves, fold in half, and microwave (or grill in skillet or panini maker). Serve with sour cream, if desired.
5. Leftovers/out (Shane's birthday...hoping to go our:))

6. Dinner at the inlaws to celebrate Shane's birthday!
7. Spaghetti and Meatballs, bread, and salad
8. Chipped Beef Gravy over biscuits: I prefer to use Eskay brand chipped beef in the dairy section of the store (I've heard it comes in a jar, too, but I have never used that). I chop the beef into small pieces and fry it in some Crisco shortening. I use about 3-4 Tbsp. of shortening. You want to have enough fat in the pan to make a roux for your gravy. After a few minutes of frying, add 1/4 c. to 1/2 c. flour to the meat and fat (my grandma always told me to add enough flour to absorb all the fat...if that helps ya!). Let the flour cook for a few minutes (this will help prevent lumps in your gravy later). Add 1 can evaporated milk, stirring, and cooking until thickened. If the gravy is too thick, add milk until desired consistency. Serve over biscuits or toast.
9. Heinz Balsamic Chicken: I got this recipe off the back of the ketchup bottle, and I'm telling you...It is the best chicken recipe ever!! Everyone should have this recipe!!! I will post this recipe (hopefully tomorrow).
10. Taco Salads: taco meat over tortilla chips, with cheese, lettuce, and tomatoes
11. Paninis: best with a panini maker, but will work in a grilling pan. We prefer ham, mozzi cheese, pepperoni, and pizza sauce, but make whatever your family likes.
12. Leftovers, or baked chicken potpie. Might be feeling like a comfort food at this point. I use a homemade double crust or you can buy a pie crust in the dairy section of the store. Make the filling out of roux, cooked chicken, and mixed veggies. My favorite recipe is from Southern Living. You can find it in their cookbook, or online. I may have it posted here on the site as well, will have to check.

13. Stuffed Shells (or a Valentine's Day Dinner out, if I'm lucky): You can make this from scratch, or just use the frozen stuffed shells with spaghetti sauce and mozzi cheese on top.
14. Make a special meal for your hubby!....or for another idea, sloppy joes and french fries.
15. Ham Steak, rice, green beans
16. Meatloaf Minis: why mini? they cook faster! You can use whatever recipe you like or find my recipe on this site.
17. Shortcut Chicken Cordon Blue: another recipe from the menus4mom website. 2 c. cooked chicken, 1 can cream of mushroom soup, 2 Tbsp. each water and chicken broth, 1/2 c. each shredded swiss cheese and cubed cooked ham. Mix together, heat, and serve over cooked egg noodles.
18. Pizza
19. Leftovers

20. Chicken Lasagne: yet another recipe from menus4moms (detailed recipe on their site). I will have to post the recipe later since it is very long and involved. It sounds really yummy and I can't wait to try it!
21. Sausage Potato Quiche: a family favorite. a quiche that is not too fussy or fancy. It has a potato crust, with eggs, sausage, and cheese on top. I've posted this one before, will try to link it tomorrow.
22. Chili Mac or Chili over Rice: not sure what I'll be feeling like by this time of the month. I will either add macaroni to my chili recipe or just make it and serve it over rice.
23. Turkey Rice casserole: I don't have a "set in stone" recipe for this one yet, but I have seen a few on myrecipes.com. I will be using one of them.
24. Tator Tot casserole: There are lots of different recipes for this, especially in Taste of Home magazines. I prefer to make it with ground beef (browned with onions), mixed with a package of brown gravy. Put the beef mixture in the bottom of 9x13 dish, top with shredded cheddar cheese and a bag of tator tots. Bake at 375 degrees until the tator tots are browned.
25. Soup and Sandwiches
26. Leftovers

27. Hamburger Supper: This recipe uses brown gravy (again!!) and it is one of our family favorites! I have posted the recipe before, will need to locate and link. Basically, it is ground beef, potatoes, carrots, diced onion, brown gravy, and cheddar cheese. Yummy!
28. Slippery Potpie (ham or beef): another recipe to locate and link!

That's it folks! I will do my best to get these recipes posted and linked as soon as possible...but for now, it is really late. Hope you're willing to try a few of these recipes...Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment