Angie Gets Organized

This is why I'm trying to get organized...for my family. I am a strong believer in family meal time, but I know that without a little planning, it will be hard to keep us all together. It will also be easier to spend money foolishly on prepared foods or fast food. I love trying out new recipes, so this is my site to pass on recipes, while also organizing them into a meal plan. I hope it helps you to keep your family together. I would love to hear what others are having for dinner, or see a new recipe or two! Feel free to leave me some feedback in the comments section...at least then I would know someone is reading this!

It's not gourmet...just good food!







Saturday, September 18, 2010

Spaghetti Casserole

8 oz. spaghetti (or pasta of choice)
2 eggs
1/4 c. cream (or whole milk)
1 tsp. dried basil leaves
1 lb. bulk sausage (or ground beef)
handful of chopped onion
2 cloves chopped/minced garlic
1 jar spaghetti sauce (or 14 oz canned diced tomatoes, 8 oz tomato sauce, and 6 oz tomato paste)
1 c. beef broth
1 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
2 c. colby-jack cheese

1. Cook Spaghetti as directed on package. Meanwhile, beat eggs, cream, and basil in large bowl. Drain spaghetti and immediately add to egg mixture. Toss to coat. Place in 9x13 baking dish.
2. In heavy skillet, cook sausage with onion and garlic until browned. Drain fat. Add remaining ingredients, except cheese. Simmer to blend flavors. Pour sauce mix over spaghetti. Top with cheese.
3. Bake at 375 degrees for 30-35 min until thoroughly heated and cheese is melted.

** This is from my Meals for a Month cookbook, so it is freezer-friendly. A 9x13 would be more than our family would eat in a sitting so I would most likely make an 8x8 to eat immediately and freeze the other half.
**To freeze: Follow recipe, except line casserole dish with plastic wrap before putting spaghetti into it. Layer the casserole as directed, cover with plastic wrap, and freeze in the casserole dish. When frozen, lift the casserole out of the dish and place in large freezer ziplock bag. Put cooking directions on outside of bag. When ready to use, remove plastic wrap and return the casserole to the baking dish (it should fit perfectly!). Thaw overnight in fridge, bake 40-50 min at 375 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment